Jun 15, 2010

Exploring the Museum of Fine Arts

I must confess that I was not a big fan of art museums before I came to the US. I used to study and live in Beijing for 4 years, but I only went to the museum for twice or so. One thing I didn't like about it was because museums were usually crowded and noisy back in Beijing--I guess I should blame it on the POPULATION. The other was that the displays were the same for 4 years. There were very few special exhibits and most of the exhibitions stood there for a long time. I would blame myself on this one, since I'm the one who's always chasing after new trends and ideas.

But all of this have changed after I came to the U.S. You'll find numerous museums everywhere with multiple purposes: memorial museums, art museums, and more. The museum fee is amazingly low and you usually get student discount/ even free access. They are usually so big that you have to make several trips to just take a rough look at all that's in it.

Today, I'd like to introduce you the Boston Museum of Fine Arts (MFA), one of the most fascinating museums located in the Boston area. You can take the Greenline E train to "Museum of Fine Arts" stop, or the Orange Line train to the "Ruggles" stop to get to MFA. The admission fee is $20/adult and you get FREE admission if you are a BU student (Isn't That Something!?).

It is really large and it takes hours to really have good sense of the art pieces in the museum. After my 5-hour trip inside the museum, I've discoverd some amazing pieces.

The Secrets of Tomb 10A: Egypt 2000 BC is one of the most popular exhibitions in MFA. It unveils the secrets of mummifying the dead and literally shows two of the exquisite coffins that contain the King, and his wife. There are also splendid tomb statures on view. It's really worth spending a day indulging yourself in the ancient stories that the mummies are going to tell.            

I just checked out the website and find out that the exhibition is going to end on June 27. But you can always expect something interesting upcoming.

Besides the ancient Egypt exhibition, what amazes me the most is the well-preserved oil painting collections in the museum. Among all of them, masterpieces of Claude Monet  impresses me the most. Although I'm not a art major student, I'm captured by the peace and tranquilitly shown from the painting. Staring into the painting makes you feel like you're actually by pond with the Monet, experiencing the way that he enjoys.

Another painting that captures my attention for a long time is the one on the right. Yeah, that's me in the picutre standing in front of the painting, totally attracted by the painting.

The guy is mur-muring something to her ears, it seems like something sweet. Take a closer look at the shy girls facial expression, it seems like she's still holding herself from the attractive guy that she's dancing with. She might have a crush on him, but is too shy to show it out.
The painter has captured a perfect moment of the flirting moment of the two. It seems to me that nobody else matters in the couple's eyes. Despite the happy crowd in the background, they're indulging themselves in their own world of love.

Besides my favorite spots above, MFA is also showing some other terrific collections like the Art of Asia, Ocenia and Africa, Contemporary Art and so on. What are your favorite museums and collections? Tell me about it and leave a comment below.

Share/Save/Bookmark

No comments:

Post a Comment